Playdough has been a childhood staple for so many over the years. The magic that can be created with Playdough is endless. Given it is the Christmas season, what a wonderful time of the year to create some playdough from scratch. In this respect, some homemade Christmas inspired Playdough fits right in.
To be honest, I have been making playdough for quite some time and it’s either been a BIG hit or a miss. The below mix seems to achieve the right consistency, which is always my biggest concern. I also like to consciously choose low tox ingredients. The recipe provided is geared towards making some low tox Christmas Playdough.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
Here are the key ingredients to make your Christmas Playdough;
- 250g Flour
- 100g Salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup Spirulina (The green colouring is naturally derived from Spirulina)
- 1 tbsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Optional: Young Living Lavender Essential Oil. (I find this helps offset the smell of Spirulina. Although, Spirulina does not normally have a pungent smell)
- An alternative to Spirulina is a green natural food colouring
A little trick: As mentioned, it’s taken me a few goes to achieve the right consistency. I have found that the more salt applied, the less sticky the playdough. Just to add, I am pretty pleased with my findings as I am rather fond of salt! Read more about my connection to salt HERE.
- Mix the dry ingredients (Flour, Salt and Cream of Tartar, Spirulina) into a bowl and stir!
- Combine the wet ingredients (Olive Oil, boiling water) and stir!
- Go on, keep stirring things up!
- Set the dough aside and allow it to cool a little.
- Sing a little while you wait… ‘Doe, a deer, a female deer.’ Listen HERE.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes until the dough is nice and soft.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Once cooled, add some Young Living Lavender Essential Oil. It will not only help offset the smell of Spirulina, but also help create the ultimate sensory experience for the child.
My child thought it’d be rather funky to make a Christmas Tree using our Christmas playdough. See photographed below. I decided to use our celebration ring around it to make it extra festive! The celebration ring is from GRIMMS and we use it year round.
IT’S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Before you go, check out my other article on 10 Waldorf (Steiner) Inspired Christmas Gifts. Click HERE.
Wishing you dough much fun and sending the spirit of Christmas your way!
Please patch test first. Note: there are specific Essential Oils that can be used on babies. Such particular Essential Oils must be diluted due to concentration levels. To be super safe, consult your healthcare provider.