A woman becomes even better at multi-tasking when becoming a mama. With this in mind, let’s feed two birds with one seed. *Yes, I have purposely used this to veer away from a more commonly known idiom.
Get ready to make your very own DIY Luscious Baby Diaper Rash Cream and Soothing Boob Butter! All in one go, of course! With the outcome being a beautiful homemade mixture for babies, including cream for mothers. This easy-to-make blend is low tox and packed with some of my favourite superpowers!
Many diaper rash creams on the market contain petroleum based oils, parabens and preservatives which are all inflammatory. Not to forget the blanket term ‘fragrance.’ Evidently, our skin is our largest organ. As you may be aware, everything we apply to it is absorbed into the bloodstream. This is important to be mindful of when it comes to babies, as their precious skin is much more sensitive.
The below has been carefully curated using all natural ingredients, as follows…
- 1/2 cup Shea Butter. Shea Butter is a key ingredient in helping with skin irritation. (Please do a patch test first to ensure for no allergic reaction!) Alternatively, try 1/2 cup Cocoa Butter.
- 1/3 cup of antimicrobial organic Coconut Oil.
- 1/4 cup of hydrating organic Virgin Olive Oil. This is brilliant for application on the skin in general, with its use being passed down my lineage.
- 4 tbsp Beeswax to help soothe irritated skin.
- 10 drops Young Living Lavender Essential Oil for its calming properties.
- Alternatively, try 6 drops of Young Living Lavender Essential Oil and 4 drops of Young Living Roman Chamomile Essential Oil.
- Place the Shea Butter (or Cocoa Butter), Coconut Oil, Virgin Olive Oil and Beeswax in a saucepan.
- Place saucepan on top of stove top. Let it simmer until the ingredients have melted.
- Stir through until mixture has blended into a water based consistency.
- Remove from heat and place in a glass container or mason jar.
5. Allow the mixture to cool down to room temperature. If needed, place in fridge to help expedite this.
6. Once cooled, add the Essential Oils.
7. Leave to set for a few hours.
8. Beat the mixture on high until stiff peaks form.
And there you have it, an all in one Luscious Baby Diaper Rash Cream and Soothing Boob Butter!
For more reading, check out my other article on creative endeavours and mindfulness, here! As well as the EWG’s Skin Deep guide for more awareness on personal care products and the nitty gritty on what’s inside.
Please patch test first. Note: there are specific Essential Oils that can be used on babies. Such particular Essential Oils must be diluted due to concentration levels. To be super safe, consult your healthcare provider.